Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

So… I think I have a tendency to appreciate the little things to a fault; to a point where I sometimes lack consistency in going after the bigger things, i.e. those last 20-something credits and a gig that’ll put me behind that white picket fence with the 2.3 children and chocolate lab sooner rather than later. But to lift a line from pretty much any Cameron Crowe movie ever made – The little things? There’s really nothing bigger…

Watching Brett Favre lead the ‘Diaper Babies’ to Green Bay’s tenth victory of the rapidly waning NFL season over more hot (spiked) cider and amongst family that honestly had no clue the guy didn’t retire 2 or 3 years ago, I really was able to appreciate the fact that the way Favre plays the game still brings me the same unadulterated pleasure it brought me back when I was roaming middle school hallways. Obviously my understanding of the game, tastes, and life have evolved and changed in so many ways since then (even a quick Facebook search reveals the girlfriend who cheered Desmond Howard through the wedge with me during Super Bowl XXXI is now married). But the simple fact that life, for better or worse, can do its thing for a decade and still allow you that simple pleasure is unbelievable.

It’s a similar story with the Dave Matthews Band – No matter how many new artists I check out and grow to cherish, I can still value and enjoy not only what a band like DMB has meant to me and my musical tastes, but the music they continue to churn out over 12 years after the first time I saw them live (At what was then called the Garden State Arts Center). See: 'You Never Know' and 'Idea of You.'

That’s not to say it isn’t difficult to give your friends and tastes an unconditional benefit of the doubt… The Packers miss the playoffs much more frequently these days, and when they do sneak in, suffer through things like 4th and 26, 5 INT games from Brett, and seemingly inexplicable hirings and signings in subsequent off-seasons. DMB put out Everyday and Stand Up. More than this, girlfriends can struggle to stay faithful. Friends disappoint and disappear. But I’m so thankful for the rewards life throws back at you if you stick it out; if you don’t turn your back on the people, places, and things that made you who you are for the sake of reinvention and forced, artificial personal growth. You can have it both ways and it only enriches your life; your character. I’m thankful I can bring in and appreciate new people and things and at the same time keep the old school in my life as well.

Perhaps this is simply an extension of the whole, aforementioned "you’re too nice!" thing. Or just something brought to the forefront by the fact I'm living with two high school buddies. Or something stemming from an 'Eye Street Thanksgiving' toast I made in which I clumsily and nervously tried to connect maturity and a life attitude full of gratitude. Or even something I started thinking about after watching a (surprisingly serviceable, entertaining, and poignant) Rocky VI.

Regardless, what I've gotten out of living my life this way is what I’m especially thankful for this year.

And your time, loyal reader. Oh, and of course, Eye Street’s perpetual sweetheart Erica Jenkins. We’re pulling for you, girl!

No comments: